The sixth iteration of the AFD Digital Challenge was just released by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD).
An annual competition known as the AFD Digital Challenge is available to digital start-ups that create and implement ground-breaking solutions for Africa’s development.
Every year, candidates are presented with a theme that is connected to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Numerous start-ups submit their initiatives that encourage the use of digital technology for urban sustainability, rural transformation, health, transportation, and environmental and climate change.
The competition identifies and supports the top ten talents for digital innovation in Africa. These winners benefit from financial support of up to €20,000 to realize their project and leverage its social and environmental impact. They also benefit from personalized professional and strategic support for a year. The high profile of the AFD Digital Challenge gives greater visibility to the winners and helps them make a name for themselves in Africa and internationally.
AFD Digital Challenge for African Digital Startups Sectors
Six Principal Sectors of the Cultural and Creative Industries
1. Cultural and natural heritage: museums, historical places, archaeological sites, cultural landscapes, natural heritage
2. Performing arts and festivities: performing arts, live music, dance, festivals, fairs and celebrations
3. Visual arts and crafts: fine arts, photography, crafts
4. Books and press: books, newspapers, magazines, libraries, book fairs
5. Design and creative services: architecture, fashion design, graphic design, interior design, advertising
6. Audiovisual and interactive media: film, TV and radio, streaming, podcasts, video games
AFD Digital Challenge for African Digital Startups Benefit
Up to €45,000 grant per winner
Eligibility Criteria for AFD Digital Challenge for African Digital Startups
> Your digital project involves one of the six main sectors of activity of the Cultural and Creative Industries (mentioned above)
Your project offers a digital solution to one of the following three challenges
- Transformation of the modes of production and consumption of cultural and creative goods and services
- Enhancing the value of African cultural heritage and legacies
- Promotion of inclusive access to cultural and creative content
> Your project is currently in the seed phase (prototyping or beginning of commercialization with an indicative annual turnover of 0 to 18 000€), or in the acceleration phase (economic model and user market established with an indicative annual turnover of €18,000 to €250,000 per year
> Your project has a legal structure based in one or more African countries
> You are a startup or an association
Application Deadline – February 24, 2023
- Call for Applications: AstraZeneca Young Health Programme Impact Fellowship 2023 |Fully-funded to One Young World Summit
- Call for Application: Echoing Green Fellowship 2023 for Innovative Leaders $80,000 Seed Funding
- Call for Application: Bristol Myers Squibb Scholarship to Attend the One Young World Summit 2023 | Fully-funded to Belfast, Ireland
- Call for Applications: EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy 2023 to Study in Nigeria, Senegal & Cape Verde | Fully-funded
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships 2023 for low and middle-income countries) to Study in the United Kingdom | Fully Funded
- Call for Applications: African Development Bank 2023 Virtual Internship Program
- Call for Applications: GSMA AgriTech Accelerator 2023
- Call for Applications: Young African Leaders Programme
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP