In a fast-paced setting, the Data Scientist will be required to deliver under tight and frequent deadlines. Under the supervision of Prospects Group management, he/she will collaborate closely with a team of talented economists. In addition to his or her contributions to the Prospects Group, the Data Scientist will be expected to contribute to the activities of other World Bank Group units.
|3 years 0 months
|Washington, DC,United States
Data Scientist Post at World Bank Group (International Recruitment)
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
Background / General description:
Prospects Group. The Prospects Group of the Development Economics Vice-Presidency provides timely analysis on global economic and financial developments, and their impact on the member countries of the WBG. Internally, it informs and helps define policy positions of the WBG and provides analytical support for WBG operations. Externally, the Prospects Group aims to influence global policy debates on major macroeconomic and development issues. In fulfilling this objective, the Prospects Group leads the WBG’s monitoring, analyzing, and forecasting work in global macroeconomics. It produces topical and policy-oriented analytical work, including the semi-annual WBG corporate flagship Global Economic Prospects report and the semi-annual Commodity Markets Outlook report. In addition, the Prospects Group produces a wide range of analytical studies that appear as working papers, policy notes, and research publications in scientific journals, conference volumes, and book chapters.
Position: The Prospects Group is looking for a Data Scientist based in Washington DC with excellent technical and economic skills to contribute to its main tasks and product lines. The successful candidate will possess applied technical experience working with macroeconomic and financial data to contribute to the Group’s main tasks and product lines related to surveillance and monitoring. This includes:
• Development and improvement of tools for global macroeconomic analysis and forecasting, including management of the Prospects Group databases and forecasting frameworks and macro-econometric models, communicating with Prospects Group management on work status, foreseeable problems, and processes.
• Data-driven global macroeconomic and financial surveillance, forecasting, and analysis of global economic trends.
• Management of macroeconomic data, high-frequency systems, and forecasts from across the World Bank used in the Prospects Group products, including the Global Economic Prospects report.
• Management of data and preparation of visuals for DECPG publications and analytical reports.
• Depending on the candidate’s expertise, work on topical issues related to macroeconomics, finance, and development economics.
The Data Scientist will be expected to deliver under tight and frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment. S/he will work closely with a team of talented economists, under the guidance of the Prospects Group’s management. In addition to the contributions to the Prospects Group, the Data Scientist will be expected to devote a fraction of his/her time to contribute to the work of other World Bank Group units.
•Master’s degree in economics, statistics, computer sciences, or data science with a strong background in economics and economic data skills, and 5 years of relevant work experience is required.
•In-depth knowledge and skill in one or more of the following core areas of data science: (i) mathematical and quantitative reasoning; (ii) use of advanced computer languages and software; (iii) software engineering; (iv) computational and algorithmic problem-solving; (v) statistical concepts, practice, and theory; (vi) data management and curation; (vii) data description and visualization.
•Familiarity with sources, statistical methods, and concepts for macroeconomic, financial, commodity markets, or related economic data, as well as with forecasting systems used by major financial institutions.
•Familiarity with commercial and in-house datasets that support analysis of macroeconomic, financial, and commodity market issues.
•Record of experience with quantitative economic analysis and modeling techniques.
•Strong economic skills with an eye for policy implications of technical analysis and data visualization.
•Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in a multi-cultural team.
•Ability to operate effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
•Since this is a Washington D.C.-based position, individuals not ready to move to Washington D.C. need not apply.
• General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills — possesses a demonstrated track record of working with economic and financial data and analytical tools and models to conduct economic analyses and produce user-friendly written outputs.
• Research Temperament/Intellectual Curiosity — has demonstrated an aptitude for data work through academic studies.
• Technical experience in various aspects of data science; creative problem solving with strong skills in design and problem formulation; metadata standards; data curation; data acquisition, cleaning, and management; data interpretation, analysis; and the presentation and communication of reproducible results.
DEADLINE: 17 September 2023
- The University of Toronto International Scholarships for first-entry, undergraduate programs: The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarship to study at the University of Cambridge in the UK
- Apply Now! ADB Young Professionals Program (YPP) 2023/24
- Call for Applications: Melvin M.S. Goo Writing Fellowship 2024 |up to $10,000
- Apply Now: Awa Prize for Women Entrepreneurs 2023
- UNICEF Internship Programme 2023/2024 for students and recent graduates worldwide |Fully Funded
- Apply Now: WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023/2024 for African Female Students
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP