ETH4D provides grants for mentoring doctoral candidates from low- and lower-middle-income countries. The mentorship is a one-year appointment and comprises the following components:
- Mentorship from one ETH professor, senior scientist or postdoc over a period of one year of the mentee’s doctoral studies. We suggest monthly meetings and clearly defined goals of the project, e.g., presentation at a conference, joint publication. ETH mentors are free to serve on the doctoral committee of the ETH4D mentee, but this is not a requirement.
- Research stay at the mentor’s research group (ETH Zurich, Switzerland) for 1-3 months during the mentorship period.
- Financial support for attending a conference and/or research material
- Eligible are doctoral candidates who are registered at a university or research institute in a least- developed, low- and lower-middle-income country according to the DownloadOECD/DAC 2022 – 2023 list (PDF, 204 KB)vertical_align_bottom.
- The application needs to be submitted by the ETH professorship hosting the doctoral candidate. Applications directly submitted by the doctoral candidate will NOT be considered.
The grant covers expenses up to a maximum of 15k CHF and includes the following:
- Economy roundtrip ticket (max. 2 kCHF) to and from Switzerland for the research stay
- Visa fees
- Travel allowance to attend an academic conference
- Research material (e.g. lab equipment) (max 6 kCHF in total).
- Fees for health insurance
- Local transportation
- Living allowance for the duration of the research stay at ETH Zurich
- Budget (Downloadtemplate (XLSX, 12 KB)vertical_align_bottom)
- Project description (see criteria document for points that need to be addressed)
- Motivation letter of the doctoral candidate (1 page)
- Most recent university transcripts
- CV of doctoral candidate (max. 2 pages) incl. publications
- Two academic reference letters Doctoral project proposal (if available)
- Support letter of the hosting ETH professor, including any financial and in-kind contributions (in case the mentor is a senior scientist or postdoc, both, the mentor and their professor has to sign the support letter)
Deadline: April 30, 2023.
- Coimbra Group Short Stay Scholarship Programme 2023 for Young Researchers from Sub-Saharan Africa
- iF Social Impact Prize 2023 for young Changemakers |EUR 100,000
- Call for Applications: GrowthAfrica Acceleration Programme 2023 for early stage African Entrepreneurs
- APPLY NOW: Mo Ibrahim Foundation Scholarship 2023 For African Students At University of Birmingham
- Call for Applications: The Kofi Annan Foundation’s Women & Youth in Democracy (#WYDE) Program 2023 for young African leaders |Fully Funded
Call for Applications: TVC Labs MentorPitch 2023 Program for Nigerian Startups and Entrepreneurs
- Call for Applications: Regional Studies Association (RSA) Early Career Research Grant 2023 | up to £10,000
- Call for Applications: Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2023 | Kshs 100,000 prize
- Sahara Graduate Management Trainee Program | Sahara Group
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP