Call for Applications: Evaluation Specialist Post at UN Women
UN Women aims to end discrimination against women and girls, empower women, and achieve gender equality as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security, all of which are contained in the United Nations Charter.
UN Women’s mandate and functions call for the promotion of organizational and UN system accountability on gender equality through evaluation, strengthening evaluation capacities and learning from evaluation, and developing systems to measure the results and impact of UN Women’s expanded role at the national, regional, and global levels. Evaluation’s objective and role at UN Women is to improve accountability, inform decision-making, and contribute to learning about the best approaches to achieve women’s empowerment and gender equality through operational and normative work.
The Independent Evaluation and Audit Services (IEAS) provides independent evaluation and internal audit assurance, as well as advisory services, to management on UN Women’s programmes, controls, business systems, and processes to identify good practices, provide recommendations for improvement, and contribute to learning. The Charter governs the mandate, responsibilities, and activities of the IEAS.
IEAS is supported by two services; the Independent Evaluation Service (IES) and the Internal Audit Service (IAS).
· Independent evaluation at UN Women is defined as a systematic and impartial assessment that provides credible and reliable evidence-based information for understanding the extent to which an intervention has achieved or made progress (or lack thereof) towards intended and unintended results on gender equality and the empowerment of women.
· Internal audit is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization’s operations.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Evaluation, the Evaluation Specialist will lead and support IES-led corporate, institutional and thematic evaluations, promote the use of evaluations findings, collaborate with UN and other evaluation partners, as well as provide evaluation technical support and capacity development.
Duties & Responsibilities
Conduct and/or support impartial and independent evaluations meeting the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) professional standards:
- Lead and support evaluations, promoting stakeholder ownership and learning, alignment with country evaluation systems and partners participation;
- Ensure high professional standards in line with UN Women Evaluation Policy and UN Evaluation Norms & Standards are applied;
- Apply evaluation quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis tools, including impact evaluation and contribution analysis techniques and approaches;
- Ensure effective use of resources allocated to relevant evaluation activities.
Ensure that the findings and recommendations of evaluations are followed up:
- Prepare reports and briefing materials that can be shared with stakeholders on findings and recommendations of evaluations;
- Organize meetings, workshops and other discussion fora to contribute to knowledge management;
- Hold meetings with project / programme managers to ensure that evaluation results are taken into account in project design, implementation and appraisal;
- Liaise with project/programme managers on recommendations and monitor follow up on evaluations.
Provide evaluation technical assistance and capacity development support:
- Provide training and coaching on evaluation, self-evaluation, monitoring and results-based management to other organizational units;
- Provide advice/information/guidance to project/ programme managers on evaluations;
- Contribute to the development of methodologies for gender-responsive evaluations, and to the review of guidelines, systems, procedures and tools related to evaluation.
Promote UN coordination on evaluation that is gender responsive:
- Collaborate with other UN evaluation units on joint evaluation initiatives;
- Participate in United Nations Evaluation Group taskforces and contribute to the inclusion of gender equality dimensions in system-wide evaluation activities;
- Collaborate with professional evaluation bodies in the area of gender responsive evaluation.
Provide technical support to knowledge management:
- Keep abreast of developments in the area of evaluation, exploring innovative approaches in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Share information and experience in the Evaluation Community of Practice.
Perform other related duties and assignments as requested by the supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Evaluations are impartial, independent, credible, meet UNEG professional standards and are implemented in a timely manner and of high quality;
- Timely and quality advice provided to UN Women stakeholders;
- Timely provision of quality capacity development opportunities leading towards improved capacity amongst UN Women’s staff and partners;
- Evaluation recommendations are informing programme design, implementation and appraisals;
- Quality gender inputs provided into evaluation;
- Quality and timely collaboration with other UN agencies.
Required Skills & Experience
Education and certification:
- Advanced university degree in evaluation, social science or related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in evaluation, preferably in the normative, development, and/or humanitarian context;
- Proven hands-on experience in leading or conducting evaluations;
- Experience in gender equality analytical work and programming, and current development issues;
- Experience working in an international organization, or similar complex organization, is an asset;
- Field experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset
DEADLINE: 19 September 2023
- UNDP is looking for a Programme Analyst: P2 International Position
- Call for Application: World Bank Treasury Summer Internship Program 2023
- Call For Applications: Mozilla Technology Fund 2024 |$50,000 USD Award
- Apply Now: Julius Berger Nigeria Scholarship Scheme 2023 for young Nigerians
- Apply Now: ADBI Online Courses With Free Certificate 2023 | ADBI E-Learning
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP