The Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship 2023 application period is now open. The fifth iteration of the GNI Student Fellowship strives to increase media equality. The European Journalism Centre manages the GNI Student Fellowship in collaboration with the Google News Initiative.
It is intended for students and recent graduates who want to work as Student Fellows at one of the partner newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work for eight weeks in one of the newsrooms during the summer of 2023 and will be rewarded for their efforts. The program was created to help Europe’s future generation of media professionals and to encourage innovation in the news sector. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance that can help you launch a career in the journalistic industry. They have 20 openings across nine European countries: Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, and Poland.
Google News Initiative Programme Details
Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the participating newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023. Depending on the particular matching criteria of each newsroom, Student Fellows will research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, design new digital products, and/or contribute to one of the many other innovative projects newsrooms have ongoing.
The GNI Student Fellowship will be kicked off with an online bootcamp that will allow the Student Fellows to get to know one another, build a network, and receive career-enhancing workshops from experts in the work field. This year, the organisers are also doubling down on their efforts to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the programme.
Google News Initiative Benefits
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- Student Fellows will attend useful workshops and enjoy network opportunities during the kick-off bootcamp. This bootcamp will prepare you to make the most out of your Fellowship.
- The European Journalism Centre will check in with all the Student Fellows during the Fellowship to provide them with guidance, training, and advice and touch base on progress and needs during the Fellowship.
Google News Initiative Eligibility
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are enrolled in or recently graduated (in 2020, 2021 or 2022) from an accredited education programme. This includes:
- Master, Ph.D. or bachelor students/graduates
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a technical certificate.
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a professional certificate.
- Students/graduates of another accredited form of education in a relevant field, such as an apprenticeship or vocational training.
- You are from the country where the newsroom is based OR you are living and/or studying in the country where the newsroom is based. Students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the newsrooms based in these three countries.
- You are legally allowed to work full-time in the country where the newsroom is based.
- They accept both full-time and part-time students.
Google News Initiative Application
Go through the application questions using the example application form. Prepare your CV, work samples, references and motivation.
Deadline: April 21, 2023
For more information, visit GNI Student Fellowship.
- Apply Now: Michael Curry Summer Internship Program 2023
- Apply Now: De Beers Group Trailblazer Accelerator Programme 2023 for female Entrepreneurs
- Call for Applications: Leading Africa Scholarship to Attend One Young World Summit 2023 |Fully-funded to Belfast, Ireland
- Mastercard Graduate Launch Program 2023 for young Nigerian graduates
- Apply Now: ShEquity Accelerator Program 2023 for African female entrepreneurs
- Call for Applications: IGNITE Food Systems Challenge 2023 |up to $30,000
- Apply Now: BIC Africa Acceleration Programme for Women Entrepreneurs 2023
- APPLY NOW: NNPC/SNEPCo National University Scholarship Programme 2023
- Apply Now: Exxon Mobil Graduate Internship 2023 (Environmental and Property Solutions – SSHE) for young Nigerian graduates
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP