HiiL Innovation Hub – East Africa Jenga Haki Lab 2023 [Round 2]
Are you an aspiring entrepreneur in Kenya or Uganda searching for an opportunity to create a solution and organize a team around it? Do you want to look into technological solutions to crime? Fill out an application for the HiiL Innovation Hub – East Africa Jenga Haki Lab 2023.
The Jenga Haki Lab is a HiiL ideation program that brings together people with diverse skill sets and interests and gives them a specific environment and timeline in which to swiftly construct a solution to a specific problem. Jenga Haki Labs’ primary goal is to create a solution prototype and construct a team of co-founders, all while strengthening the justice community and developing a justice innovation pipeline. The program also allows participants to learn something new and make progress on subjects of interest to them.
HiiL Innovation Hub Background
Did you know that crime is the most common justice problem in Kenya, with over one million Kenyans experiencing a crime problem annually, yet up to 44% of Kenyans say that they were not able to resolve the crime problem they encountered? Did you also know that in Uganda, according to the HiiL Deep Dive Into Crime in Uganda Report 2020, one in three Ugandans experiences crime-related justice problems. Only a small portion of crimes are reported to the police or a court of law. Eventually unreported crimes can even lead to mob justice. Most commonly, people experience petty crime such as theft. While severe crime such as violence is not as common, it has a critical impact on people’s wellbeing.
Fortunately, there’s a way you can help: apply for the Jenga Haki Lab. By leveraging cutting-edge technology, this programme aims to tackle crime in Kenya and Uganda head-on. Join in making a real difference in the lives of Kenyans and Ugandans – apply today!
HiiL Innovation Hub Theme
The Theme for this round of applications is: How do you use technology to prevent or resolve crime related problems in Uganda and Kenya?
HiiL Innovation Hub Benefits
The Jenga Haki Lab programme offers a 5-week long programme that provides the selected teams with:
- Match with like-minded and talented entrepreneurs to build a solution.
- Training during the residential 2-day Jenga Haki Weekend and subsequent product development sprints. The training will be on:
- Human-centered design or Designing for your User testing
- Leadership and Project Management
- Pitching and Presentation
- Two weeks of product development sprints for the teams to design, develop and test their prototype.
- Pitch at the Jenga Haki Festival in front of a 3 member Jury and stand a chance to win grant funding of:
- 1,000 Euros to the Winner
- 750 Euros to the 1st runners up
- 500 Euros to the 2nd runners up
HiiL Innovation Hub Eligibility
- The programme is suitable for individuals with Innovative solutions/ideas that can address crime related justice problems in Uganda and Kenya including:
- Financial fraud
- Theft/armed robberies
- Home break-ins/burglary
- Domestic violence
- Sex-related offences
- Jenga Haki has also been designed to support teams hence all applicants must be willing to be in/form teams of 4-5 members. Members of the team must be above 18 years of age and residents or citizens of Uganda and Kenya at the time of application.
- Jenga Haki looks for individuals that have a background/expertise in:
- Business knowledge
- Have a social science background such as sociology, psychology
- IT or Software development experience
HiiL Innovation Hub Application
Registration closes on Friday, August 18, 2023 at 11:59 EAT. If you are interested in being part of the programme, apply today!
For more information, visit Jenga Haki Lab.
- Call for Applications: Wilson Center Fellowship Program 2024-2025 |$90,000 stipend
- Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship 2023 for Africans |grant of £18,000
- AUC/UNDP African Young Women Leaders (AfYWL) 2023 Fellowship Programme |Fully Funded
- Call for Ambassadors: Africa Youth for Migration Programme (AYMP) 2023
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2023/2024 for Mid-Career Professionals to Study in the United Kingdom |Fully Funded
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP