The InfoNile University Science Communication Competition for Africa 2023 is now accepting applications. InfoNile, a geo-journalism platform and cross-border network of over 800 Nile Basin environmental journalists and scientists, has organized a science communication competition to engage university students in Africa in understanding the critical role of conserving swamps and their biodiversity.
The competition aims to foster environmental awareness and empower young scientists and conservationists in Africa to take action for swamps. Participating students are encouraged to conduct in-depth research, critically analyze scientific information, and effectively communicate their findings to diverse audiences.
Swamps play a great role in protecting and preserving biodiversity but stressors, including human activities, are posing a great impact unto them. Different ways of mitigations including restoration, establishment, enhancement and preservation have been put in place to return the former natural functions and characteristics.
Theme: Saving Swamps to Conserve Biodiversity in Changing Climate Change
InfoNile University Science Communication Awards
- 1st Position: $125 USD + Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- 2nd Position: $100 USD + Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- 3rd Position: $85 USD + Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- 4th Position: Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- 5th Position: Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
InfoNile University Science Communication Eligibility
- Open to university students in Africa pursuing science, communication and journalism;
- Applicants will choose any scientific research article about swamps in their country and use it as a case study.
Content and Accuracy (30%)
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the importance of swamps, biodiversity, and the impact of climate change on these ecosystems.
- Presents accurate and scientifically sound information, supported by reliable sources and evidence.
- Conveys a clear and compelling message about the need for swamp conservation and the significance of biodiversity in climate change resilience.
Clarity and Organization (20%)
- Presents information in a clear, concise, and engaging manner.
- Uses a logical structure with well-defined sections or chapters.
- Maintains a coherent flow of ideas and transitions smoothly between different topics or subtopics.
Creativity and Innovation (15%)
- Utilizes creative and innovative approaches to communicate scientific concepts.
- Demonstrates originality in the choice of communication methods and mediums.
- Engages the audience through compelling storytelling, visuals, or interactive elements.
Effectiveness of Communication (20%)
- Engages the target audience effectively and tailors the communication to their level of understanding.
- Employs appropriate language and terminology for the intended audience.
- Utilizes visual aids, multimedia, or other communication tools to enhance comprehension and engagement.
Impact and Engagement (15%)
- Successfully raises awareness about swamp conservation and biodiversity in a changing climate.
- Sparks interest, curiosity, and dialogue among the audience.
- Inspires action or behavior change related to swamp conservation.
Overall Presentation/Social media (10%)
- Demonstrates attention to detail and professional presentation skills for instance presentation on social media and proper taggings to ensure their outputs engagement/ reach are maximized.
- Final score will come from the social media platforms. Members of the public will be able to see all submissions and vote for their favourite. (shares, comments, likes) Participants will be required to create links and share with their campaign poster, with proper captions and garner reactions and engagement.
- Adherence to the competition guidelines, including time limits and format requirements.
- They shall also consider having multiple judges with diverse expertise to ensure a fair and comprehensive evaluation of the entries. To maintain transparency, provide feedback to the participants, highlighting their strengths and areas for improvement based on the rubric.
Deadline: September 11, 2023
For more information, visit University Science Communication Competition.
- Barranquilla Young Leaders Scholarship to Attend One Young World Summit 2023 |Fully-funded)
- Apply Now: Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2024 |£5,000 prize
- Beyond Limits Fellowship 2023 for Founders |N10,000,000 grant
- Project Empower a Warrior (PEW) 2.0 Grant |N500,000 Total grant
- Apply Now: SAIS Investment Readiness Programme 2024
- Apply Now: MEST Africa Challenge 2023 |$50,000 in equity
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP