Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship for Young Africans 2023
The Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship provides African students and recent graduates with training, resources, financial support, and a network of mentors to help them improve their entrepreneurial abilities and launch their own business. The eight-month program cultivates leaders’ extraordinary entrepreneurial skillset and mindset in order to achieve social and financial impact.
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Program Timeline
Phase 1: Explore (January-February): 1000+ exceptional candidates receive access to a curated list of online entrepreneurship courses and work through the first 11 steps of the Disciplined Entrepreneurship framework workbook. Candidates have several months to demonstrate their commitment to the entrepreneurial process by completing the training and progressing on their ideas’ respective milestones.
Phase 2: Ignite (March-April): 180+ finalists with an outstanding commitment to the entrepreneurship process, who will have excelled at the milestones set out in phase one will be selected to join this phase. Under this phase, they will continue to go through an additional curated list of additional online entrepreneurship courses and work through the remaining steps of the Disciplined Entrepreneurship framework’s workbook. At the end of this phase, the participants will pitch their ideas, competing for the fellowship, and the most advanced and promising business ideas will become the finalists who receive the fellowship.
Phase 3: Launch and Fellowship (May-August): Up to 60 Fellows will be selected to join DDQIC’s summer incubation program. During this phase, Fellows will get the opportunity to work on their ideas, access seed funding, and participate in weekly 3-2-1 pitch presentations about the work they are doing as they transform their ideas into scalable startups. In addition, Fellows will receive a $500 stipend and dedicated coaches and mentors from DDQIC’s Global Network of industry experts and entrepreneurs. Fellows will have the opportunity to compete in a pitch competition for more seed funding at the end of the program.
Graduation (August): Startup entrepreneurs (Fellows) will complete their incubation program at the end of August. After graduation, Fellows will continue to receive post-incubation services, support, and pitch competition opportunities as part of DDQIC’s network. High-performing Fellows will be invited to participate as ambassadors and mentors for future Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowships as well.
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Eligibility Criteria
- They accept students and recent graduates from all academic disciplines, and from any African post-secondary institution. Whether you are already working on a business or you are looking to start something new, they can help you.
- They are looking for participants who are committed to developing their entrepreneurial mindset and taking advantage of the resources provided to develop their own enterprise. The program is delivered virtually and can be completed at any pace, however the most committed participants will commit at least 10 hours per week. In order to progress through the program phases, participants will submit assignments online, adhering to strict deadlines.
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Benefits
They provide participants who demonstrate a willingness to learn, take risks, and commit themselves fully with the best that our innovation centre has to offer.
Best in class Training
- Business bootcamp delivered by Queen’s University faculty and industry leaders who bring decades of combined entrepreneurship and C-Suite experience
- The Disciplined Entrepreneurship framework, a proven step-by-step framework for scalable startups developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Pitch coaching and mastery
- Live workshops on marketing, goal setting, and recruiting are held throughout the program
- Opportunity to earn micro-credentials on Entrepreneurship awarded by Queen’s University for successful completion the courses
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Mentorship and Networking
- Liaise with mentors and speakers leading innovation and entrepreneurship in North America
- Access a Global Network of Queen’s entrepreneurial alumni
- Join a cohort of thousands of like-minded students and recent grads from across Africa
- Fellows are matched to industry leaders and entrepreneurs in the final phase of the program
- Receive feedback at important startup milestones
Financial support and opportunities
- Up to 60 Fellows will be selected in the final phase to receive a stipend of $500 CAD
- Opportunities to pitch for prizes of up to $15,000 CAD in the pitch competition at the end of the program
- Opportunities to travel to the Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre to build lasting connections that will help your further your business venture
Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Inclusivity
They believe they do their best work when they tackle problems from diverse perspectives. They are committed to eliminating barriers to entrepreneurship and making the program inclusive to as many people as possible. They are constantly iterating and improving the courses in response to user needs.
Deadline: December 4, 2023.
- APPLY NOW: Federal Government 3 Million Technical Talent (3MTT) Programme For Young Nigerians
- Apply Now: Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships for African Students to Study at Oxford University,UK |Fully-funded
- Harvard University Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Program 2023/2024 |Fund for Africa
- McGill University MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program 2024 for study in Canada |Fully Funded
- Call for Applications: CJID Africa capacity building workshop on Climate Change
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP