Mastercard Foundation Enterprise for Youth in Agriculture Program
The Enterprise for Youth in Agriculture through Technology-enabled Vegetable Production (EYiA) project, in collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation, aims to expand economic opportunity for Nigerian youth, particularly young women, through premium vegetable production as a source of dignified and fulling entrepreneurship on small parcels of land.
Work, Learn, and Earn – an opportunity to train unemployed youths and women in vegetable production (Olericulture) using technology. The technologies to be deployed include:
- Greenhouse farming – this is a climate smart growing method that gives the growers control over biotic and abiotic factors.
- Soilless farming (hydroponics) – a growing method that does not depend on soil, it allows the grower to grow year round regardless of season
- ML & AI tools – These will be used in monitoring the irrigation of the plants as well as proper nutrient combination for the plants
- Integrated Pest management – A combination of physical and biological control will be used throughout the project to ensure proper pest management.
Students will be admitted quarterly into the project, 1000 students per quarter and will be grouped in 50s. In a year there will be 4 admissions, thus:
- Annual student intake = 4000
- A batch of students admitted quarterly = 1000
- A batch consist of 20 groups
- A group consist of 50 team members
- All 50 students in a group have joint ownership of a 3 plots hydroponics farm
- Each group will have the technical team (16), Agronomy team (12), Packaging/branding team (8), logistics (6) and Account/Management team (8)
- All students will be trained on basic greenhouse setup
- All students will be trained on basic soilless farm setup
- All students will be trained on basic ML and AI setup
- All students will be trained on basic Olericulture production
- Students will be trained also based on their units – technical, agronomy etc so they can manage the company on their own
- The students will earn a stipend during the 3 month of training
- Accommodation is provided for 3months
- Learn how to setup/manage greenhouses and hydroponics
- Earn salaries from their company from the 4th month of inception from produce sales
- Application and Selection:
The application portal has a 3-minute video that explains what the project is about, and an assessment based on what the project is about. This is to ensure the students understand what the project entails and is willing to follow through the process.
- Interview preparation:
On the successful completion of your application form, you will get a link to watch a short introductory video on soilless farming (hydroponics) technology. The video also teaches you how to setup a hydroponics system for your home use.
- Hand-on training:
This covers the 12 weeks of the training – ranging from farm setup, planting and management. It also covers other non-farm skills to be acquired by the applicants.
- Cooperative group formation and ecommerce set-up:
The applicants are grouped into 50s, companies are setup based on these groups, in addition there is a cooperative for every batch.
We monitor the farms as consultants, as well as other activities of the company to ensure for the next 2 years post-hub they thrive and turnover profits.
Application Deadline: Unspecified
For More Information:
- Apply Now for the Green Educators Fellowship |Fully-funded
- Call for Applications: WomHub African Innovation Fellowship for Africa Women Entrepreneurs 2023
- Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Post-Graduate Foreign Scholarships Programme 2023/2024 for young Nigerians
- Call for Applications: Aspire Leaders Program for Young Leaders Worldwide 2024
- Call for Applications: ILO Global Media Competition on Labour Migration 2023
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP