The Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award 2023 is currently accepting applications. The Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award is a $12,500 grant given to a promising young nonfiction writer to assist their work on a narrative that reveals realities about the human condition.
The Award, which was presented for the first time in 2015, was endowed by people and organizations affected by the life and work of Matthew Power, a widely traveling, award-winning journalist who aimed to live and share the experiences of the people and locations he was covering. While on duty in Uganda in March 2014, Power, a longtime friend of the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute, passed away.
The award proceeds from the recognition that many important stories need to be reported from afar, and that publications do not always have the resources to send a writer where the story is.
Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award 2023 Award
The monetary award will be distributed in the following way:
- $6,000 upon announcement of the winning proposal; $3,000 upon evidence of substantial progress (usually a first draft); and $3,500 upon completion and acceptance by the Award committee.
Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award 2023 Eligibility
- Open to anyone age 21 and older. The Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute encourages applications from early-career, nonfiction writers whose work will perpetuate the legacy of Matthew Power.
- There are no citizenship nor residency requirements.
- Ineligible to apply are New York University (NYU) affiliates, NYU graduates with degrees dated 2019 and after, and journalists holding staff positions at established media outlets that are in a position to fund such projects on their own.
Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award 2023 Application
The Institute expects the completed work to appear in an English-language publication of strong reputation. All entries must be received by the Institute by the closing date specified.
Deadline: March 2, 2023
- APPLY NOW: EcoHeroes Initiative 2022-2023 for Secondary School Students in Africa
- Call for Applications: UN Foundation – The Big Brainstorm 2023 for Young Thinkers and Activists to design their future
- Call for Applications: ONE Youth Ambassador Programme 2023 | Belgium
- Call for Applications: PAP Innovation Showcase 2023 for Climate Tech Startups | up to $10,000
- Call for Applications: Rice Business Plan Competition 2023 for Student Startups | Up to $2M in prizes
- APPLY NOW: Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme 2023 for African Entrepreneurs | get $5,000 seed funding
- Freshwater and Community Conservation Remote Externship 2023
- Fashionomics Africa 2023 Fashion Entrepreneur Contest | $10,000
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP