Program Management Officer P3 Vacancy at the United Nations Environment Programme UNEP
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the world’s leading environmental authority, setting the global environmental agenda, promoting the consistent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the UN system, and acting as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international treaty with 184 signatories. Its goal is to ensure that worldwide trading in wild animal and plant specimens does not endanger their survival (www.cites.org). UNEP manages the CITES Secretariat, which is based at the Geneva duty station.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international agreement between 184 Parties (183 States and the European Union). Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival (www.cites.org). CITES works by subjecting international trade in specimens of species covered by the Convention to certain controls. All import, export, re-export and introduction from the sea of the covered species has to be authorized through a licensing system.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Legal Unit, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Assist in the management of projects and programmes of the Secretariat:
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the CITES Compliance Assistance Programme (CAP) assigned, monitors and analyzes programme / project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
• Monitors compliance and assisting in the implementation of the recommendations with particular attention to Article XIII processes and the National Legislation Project.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
2. Provide Secretariat support to CITES Parties and Legal Unit:
• Services and supports different Standing Committee Working Groups as appropriate and required.
• Assists in the preparation of documents for meetings of the Standing Committee as assigned by the Chief of the Unit.
• Assists in the preparation of documents for the 20th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties as assigned by the Chief of Unit.
• Reviews, advises on, and drafts complex documents, agreements, or legal submissions and other legal documents.
• Supports the Unit in the organization of outreach activities, side-events related to legal and compliance matters.
• Supports the Legal Unit in the effective implementation of the Convention by monitoring compliance and implementing the decisions and resolutions allocated to her or him in a professional manner in accordance with Secretariat and UN values and rules.
• Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Participates in or leads field missions, including the provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials, and other parties and drafting mission summaries. Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
3. Performs any other related duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. In-depth knowledge of legal matters in the CITES convention or a similar convention is desirable. Knowledge of the UN system and CITES, CITES Parties and Governmental bodies and processes, its mandates, policies, and guidelines, or similar institutions is desirable. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, law (environmental, trade, international) or a related field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration, or related area is required.
Previous experience in CITES or similar convention’s legal-related matters is desirable.
A legal background in wildlife and trade law is desirable.
Experience as a negotiator is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
- GIZ is hiring! Junior consultant in the global project “Forests4Future”
- UNDP is looking for a Programme Analyst: P2 International Position
- Call for Application: World Bank Treasury Summer Internship Program 2023
- Call For Applications: Mozilla Technology Fund 2024 |$50,000 USD Award
- Apply Now: Julius Berger Nigeria Scholarship Scheme 2023 for young Nigerians
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP