The Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme 2023 is now accepting applications. The long-running internship program at Mongabay, which has aided in boosting the skills of environmental journalists in a profession where such experience can be difficult to come by, serves as the foundation for the new Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme.
The program has trained and given first-hand reporting experience to several aspiring journalists in more than a dozen nations since 2008. Interns from Mongabay have gone on to pursue jobs as professional journalists, communicators for research institutes, environmental NGOs, and Mongabay itself.
Up to 12 fellows may be supported annually by the Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme, with six working at the worldwide English bureau and six at the Mongabay-Latam Spanish-language bureau. There will be three fellows in each bureau in each cohort. Fellows will enhance their environmental reporting abilities, work with a variety of editors at their international news organization, and build a portfolio of unique publications that should help them further their media careers.
Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme Benefits
- Each fellow will receive $500 USD a month for the duration of the six-month fellowship, or $3,000 USD in total. During that time, fellows will work directly with the fellowship editor to produce six stories.
- Fellows will have opportunities to collaborate with multiple Mongabay editors, including those who specialize in different areas.
Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme Eligibility
- Applicants must be from a low- to upper-middle income tropical country, as classified by the World Bank. “High-income” tropical countries, such as Singapore and Australia, are excluded from the fellowship. A list of eligible countries can be found here.
- Applicants must be aspiring, early-career environmental journalists.
- Applicants must be able to work remotely and commit to 10 hours per week.
- There is no education requirement to apply for the programme. The fellowship is not linked to any university.
- All application materials must be submitted in the appropriate language (English for the English-language programme and Spanish for the Spanish-language programme).
- All materials must adhere to the guidelines below; applications that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified.
Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme Judging Criteria
- Basic understanding of and interest in reporting and writing news stories;
- Demonstrated interest in conservation issues;
- Demonstrated interest in environmental journalism as a career;
- Proven communication skills;
- Capacity to fulfill all of the fellowship requirements and reporting plans.
Y. Eva Tan Conservation Reporting Fellowship Programme Application
On the application form, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, answer a few questions about your interest, and upload the following documents:
- Resume (1-2 pages maximum)
- Cover letter (1 page maximum) introducing yourself and answering:
- What are your career goals, and how does environmental journalism fit in?
- Why should Mongabay select you for this fellowship?
- One writing sample in a journalistic style (published or unpublished) related to conservation or other environmental issues.
Deadline: February 10, 2023
For more information, visit Conservation Reporting Fellowship.
- UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network SDGs Advocate Programme 2023 | Nigerians
- APPLY FOR FREE: Advanced Microsoft Training and Certification vouchers for Nigerians
- Call for submissions: AKO Caine Prize for African Writing 2023 | $10,000 prize
- Call for Application: Brain Builders Youth Development Initiative
- APPLY NOW: RASH Scholarship Fund For Nigerian Students 2022
- Call for Application: Zonal Coordinator for an Edutech Advocacy Project
- Bilateral Education Agreement Scholarships for Nigerians to Study Abroad in 2023–2024 (Fully Funded)
- Call for applications: CapaCiTi Software Development Programme 2023 for Young Africans
- UONGOZI Institute Youth Leadership Competition 2023 |$2,000 prize
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP