The Mozilla Technology sponsor aspires to sponsor open source initiatives that promote environmental justice and AI while benefiting ecosystems and human communities.
Mozilla is interested in bringing together technical projects with a strong focus on environmental and climatic justice, sustainability, and ecology. We realize that the effects of climate change will be felt disproportionately by people of color, indigenous and traditional peoples, local communities, and specific ethnic-racial groupings in the global south. We are particularly interested in initiatives that address the health, economic, and social implications of climate change on these groups (e.g., the Most Affected People and Areas (MAPA)) and are constructed by or in collaboration with affected people.
Some categories of projects we are interested in funding during this round:
- Projects which expose or mitigate the climate impacts of AI systems
- Projects which utilize AI to conduct environmental impact assessments
- Projects that prototype Grassroots AI systems for ecological management
- Projects which combat climate disinformation
Mozilla Technology Fund Requirements
All applicants should:
- Have a product or working prototype in hand (we will also consider projects at the idea stage if the project team can demonstrate a track record of success in launching and building community around similar projects in the past)
- Already have a core team in place to support the development of the project (this team might include software developers working in close collaboration with ecologists, AI researchers, designers, product/project managers, and subject matter experts)
- Embrace openness, transparency, and community stewardship as methodology
- Make their work available under an open-source license
Mozilla Technology Fund Eligibility
- These awards are open to all applicants regardless of geographic location or institutional affiliation, except where legally prohibited.
- However, Mozilla is especially interested in receiving applications from Most Affected People and Areas (MAPA); members of the Global Majority or Global South; Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color; women, transgender, non-binary, and/or gender-diverse applicants; migrant and diasporic communities; and/or persons coming from climate displaced/impacted communities, etc.
Applicants must meet the following requirements
- Be legally able to receive funds in the form of a grant from the Mozilla Foundation (a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit organization)
- Be working towards solving a public interest problem or issue related to the focus of this Call for Proposals
Mozilla Technology Fund Benefits
The Mozilla Technology Fund will provide awards of up to $50,000 each and one year of mentorship and support to open source projects which meet the criteria
- Awardees will be expected to join monthly cohort calls for the duration of their project (12 months, beginning in January 2023) in order to share their progress, ask questions, and offer peer support to other project teams.
- Awardees will also have access to Mozilla Fellows with relevant subject matter expertise, who will serve as mentors to members of the MTF cohort.
- All MTF awardees past and present will have access to the MTF Slack/Discord Community for asynchronous discussion and updates.
Applications will be accepted for a period of four weeks and will then be reviewed by a committee of experts, which will make final funding decisions and allocate awards out of a total pool of $300,000.
Applicants can expect to hear back within six weeks of submitting an application; Please email MTF@mozillafoundation.org with any questions.
Applications will be open from September 7th to October 5th, 2023 at 11:59pm Eastern Time.
For More Information:
- Apply Now: Julius Berger Nigeria Scholarship Scheme 2023 for young Nigerians
- Apply Now: ADBI Online Courses With Free Certificate 2023 | ADBI E-Learning
- Call for Applications: Schwarzman Scholars Program in China 2024-25 | Fully Funded
- Fully Funded Chevening Scholarship 2024 Application Process To Study In The UK
- Data Scientist Post at World Bank Group |International Recruitment
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP