United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship 2023 |Fully Funded
The United Nations-Nippon Foundation Fellowship provides advanced training in ocean affairs and the law of the sea, as well as allied disciplines such as marine science, to government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing countries. Fellows will study about international legal frameworks, critical concerns, and best practices in ocean affairs, as well as become acquainted with UN activities and improve professional skills. Fellows will also do individual study under academic supervision and write a thesis on a topic of their choosing.
Upon completion of the Fellowship, Fellows are expected to return to their home countries and use their in-depth knowledge and extended experience to assist in formulating comprehensive ocean policy and in implementing the legal regime set out in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and related instruments, including through designing, implementing and/or evaluating specific improvement projects.
The 9-month Fellowship Programme is composed of two consecutive phases which provide Fellows with advanced and customized research and training opportunities in their chose fields:
- Phase One: 3-month Research and Training, which is normally undertaken between March/April and June at DOALOS at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
- Phase Two: 6-month Advanced Academic Research and Study, which is normally undertaken between July and December at one of the prestigious participating Host Institutions and under the guidance of subject matter expert(s) who have recognized in-depth expertise in the Fellows’ chosen field of study.
The deliverables of the Fellowship Programme are:
- A 100-page written thesis
- A presentation of the research
- An ocean governance matrix
United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship Eligibility
Candidates wishing to be considered for a Fellowship award must ensure that they meet all the following criteria:
- You must be between the ages of 25 and 40.
- You must have successfully completed a first university degree, and demonstrate a capacity to undertake independent advanced academic research and study.
- You must be a mid-level professional from a national government organ of a developing State, or another governmental or non-governmental agency in such a State, which deals directly with ocean affairs issues, and your professional position must allow you to directly assist your nation in the formulation and/or implementation of policy in this area. This includes marine sciences and the science-policy linkage. Your “Nomination and Recommendation Form” should be completed by a Government official or other official who can attest to the nature of your work with respect to the Government’s ocean affairs and law of the sea related activities, and indicate how an Award would directly contribute to these activities.
- Your proposed research and study programme must contribute directly to your nation’s formulation and/or implementation of ocean affairs and law of the sea policies and programmes.
- You must be free of all non-Fellowship obligations during the entire Fellowship period unless otherwise authorized by the Division.
United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship Benefits
- Fellows will receive a stipend each month during their Fellowship, both during their time in New York and, for United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellows participating in the 9-month programme, during their time at the second phase host institution.
- Fellows will be provided with a return economy class air-ticket to travel from their home country to complete the Fellowship.
- For the period of the Fellowship, medical coverage is provided by Cigna Health Insurance
- Call For Applications: SaaS Accelerator Program for Africa 2023 |Up to €100K Funding
- Call for Entries: Creative Business Cup Nigeria 2023 |1 Million Naira Grant
- Call for Applications: Royal Society Entrepreneur in Residence 2023-2024 |up to £25,000
- Apply Now: SAP Young Professionals Program for young African graduates
- University of Lagos African Cluster Centre Postdoctoral Fellowship in African Studies 2023 |Funded
- Call for Applications: Toyota Mobility Foundation Sustainable City Challenge 2023 |Up to $3 million funding
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP