The African Development Bank (AfDB), founded in 1964, is the continent’s principal development agency, fostering economic growth and social improvement. There are 81 member countries, with 54 from Africa (Regional Member Countries). The development agenda of the Bank provides financial and technical assistance for transformative projects that would considerably reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Selected candidates will work in various departments at the Bank’s headquarters in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, as well as its regional and country offices. However, while the Bank progressively returns to office, chosen interns will complete their internships remotely.
African Development Bank 2023 Virtual Internship Program
In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Internship program is part of a wider Talent Management Framework which facilitates the Bank to deliver on the Ten-Year Strategy and the High 5s.
Participants in the Program are selected on a competitive basis, based on business needs of the Bank.
Objectives of African Development Bank 2023 Virtual Internship Program
The broad objectives of the program are to:
- Provide students with an opportunity to acquire professional and practical experience at the African Development Bank.
- Provide the Bank with a pool of potential candidates for future recruitment purposes.
- However, applicants should not expect the internship to lead to immediate employment with the Bank.
The Fields of Study Required for the Internship
- Private Sector Development
- Human Capital Development (Education and Health)
- Infrastructure Development
- Human Resources Management Information Technology
- Internal Audit
- Governance or any other field of study that the Bank may deem relevant to its operations.
Special consideration shall be given to students who are working on projects that have a direct bearing on the mission of the Bank.
Timeline for the 2023 Internship Program
The 2023 Internship Program will run from April through December 2023.
Terms and Conditions of African Development Bank 2023 Virtual Internship Program
> Internships shall be granted to each candidate for a period not less than three (3) months and not more than six (6) months. The internship is authorized only once for any candidate.
> Selected interns will perform their internship remotely while waiting for the Bank to gradually return to office. As such, interns are expected to have access to a personal computer, reliable internet connection and a conducive living environment that facilitates smooth and uninterrupted remote working.
> In a few cases, and especially where the duties and responsibilities to be assigned to interns cannot be performed remotely, the Bank may approve on-site internships on an exceptional basis. In such instances:
> Interns shall be responsible for their air travel (in case of) to and from the Bank’s location as well as their upkeep.
> The Bank will use reasonable efforts to assist the concerned interns in obtaining their entry and residence visas.
> Eligible interns will benefit from a medical insurance coverage paid by the Bank during the period of their internship.
> Eligible interns will be provided with a monthly stipend.
African Development Bank 2023 Virtual Internship Program Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for internship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
> Must have attained the age of majority in their country of nationality or origin and be not more than Thirty (30) years old at the time of commencement of the internship program.
> Be currently enrolled in a master’s level degree program in a recognized public or private educational institution of higher learning.
> The candidate can apply for an internship within one (1) year of having obtained such a degree.
> Be nationals of the member Countries of the African Development Bank.
> Provide a letter from their school confirming their enrollment or a copy of the above-mentioned Degree. Applicants must be fluent in at least one of the Banks’s two working languages (English or French).
> Be able to use the Bank’s standard software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Strategic Focus Areas
The specific disciplines and specialist professional areas are aligned to the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy (TYS) and the gender strategy. In addition to the fields that are in the job families of the Bank, focus will be on the following areas:
- Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth
- Agriculture, Human & Social Development
- Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization
- Economics, Statistics
- Governance and Knowledge Management
- Human Resources and Corporate Services: IT, Language Services, General Services & Procurement, HR Management
- Audit, Anti-Corruption
- Communication & External Relations
- Public Relations
- Environmental and Social Assessment
Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online complete application and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). This criteria includes AfDB regular staffs and external candidates.
Application Deadline – 22-Feb-2023
- APPLY NOW: TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Award 2023 for Women Scientists from ST-Lagging countries | Up to $4,000
- Call for Applications: GSMA AgriTech Accelerator 2023
- Call for Applications: Young African Leaders Programme
- APPLY NOW: SENCE Agric Internship Program 2023 For Young Nigerians
- Call for Applications: African Girls Can Code (AGCCI) Initiative Phase II
- Call for Applications: Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED) Scholarship Programme 2023 | up to $10,000
- Call for Applications: European Union Traineeships Program 2023 | Fully Funded
- Call for Proposals: Global Youth Coalition Local Actions 2023 | €5,000 Seed fund
- APPLY NOW: African Union Commission (AUC)-EU Skills Initiative for Africa funding Window III
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP