Under the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme 2022-2027, the European Commission has announced a €27 million request for proposals for higher education institutions to provide international learning mobility opportunities for African students, trainees, and university personnel.
The scheme is part of the EU-Africa Global Gateway Investment Package’s flagship initiative Youth Mobility for Africa, which promotes youth exchanges and mobility in Africa and between Africa and Europe, and contributes to the strengthening of Africa’s higher education space, as announced in the Youth Action Plan in EU external action.
Commissioner Urpilainen stated: “In this European Year of Skills, I am proud to launch the first call for proposals of the 2022-2027 Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme. As announced in the Youth Action Plan in EU external action, and in line with our commitments taken at the UN Transforming Education Summit, the scheme will promote youth exchanges and mobility in Africa while strengthening its higher education and integration. This investment of €27 million is another tangible demonstration of the EU-Africa Global Gateway Investment Package being rolled out with emphasis on human development providing opportunities for youth, women and people with disabilities”.
The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme aims to contribute to Africa’s economic, social, and human development by enhancing knowledge, skills and competences across the continent through scholarship opportunities, in particular in connection to climate change and the green transition.
The scheme prioritises projects that support the participation of youth, women, and people from disadvantaged backgrounds, with special needs or vulnerable status. Its main priorities are to:
- Promote inclusive learning mobility opportunities.
- Place a special focus on climate change mitigation and adaptation in curricula and research programmes.
- Increase the entrepreneurship skills and employability of higher education students and trainees, specifically in green jobs.
- Improve the quality, relevance, internationalisation of higher education in Africa.
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted by a consortium composed of 4–6 higher education institutions from eligible countries in Africa and one higher education institution from the EU. The selected consortia will organise activities to implement the mobility of Master and Doctoral level students, trainees (students enrolled in a Bachelor, Master or PhD programme), and academic and administrative university staff within Africa. The EU technical partner will support the academic, administrative, and financial management of the project and mobility plan through knowledge transfer and experience sharing.
On 21 April 2023, a web-streamed information session will provide further details on the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme, practical tips for preparing and submitting applications, and Q&A.
The call is expected to finance around 15 projects for a maximum grant amount of €1.8 million each. The application.
Deadline is 15 June 2023 17:00 CEST.
- Apply Now: ExxonMobil Graduate Internship 2023 for Young Nigerians
- KPMG East Africa Graduate Recruitment Programme 2023 for young East Africans
- YALI Regional Leadership Center East Africa (Cohorts 52, 53 & 54) For Young Leaders In East Africa
- Iris Prize 2023 for Young People Accelerating Action to Protect & Restore Nature
- Apply Now: Baker Hughes Ignite 2023 Graduate Internship Program for young Nigerians
- The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) PhD Scholarship (2023)
- Apply Now: DANGOTE Graduate Trainee Programme 2023
- Apply Now: The Women In Africa JAMII Femmes Programme 2023 for African women Entrepreneurs |$USD 10,000 grant per country
- Study-In-UK: University College London (UCL) 2023 Global Masters Scholarship for Developing Countries