Young Leaders, unite! Be a Peace Advocate! As a Country Representative, you can join the Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN). The Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN) was established with the goal of bringing together young people from around the Commonwealth to maximize grassroots, national, regional, and pan-Commonwealth efforts to promote peace, respect, and understanding, as well as to avoid violent extremism. These young people may include peace campaigners and creatives at the neighborhood and policy levels.
CYPAN was launched in November 2015 at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta where youth leaders from across the Commonwealth committed to the expansion of youth-led peace efforts across the various regions. The network was established with the support of the Youth Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat and in partnership with the Institute for Strategic Dialogue with funding from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
The Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN) is led by a youth team comprised of a Network Coordinator, five (5) Executive Committee members, Regional Coordinators, and Country Representatives. The team meets monthly (online) to coordinate, monitor, evaluate, and track progress and achievements of their grassroots and regional work.
Role of the Country Representative
The main role of the Country Representative will be to coordinate the on-ground peace building work with a focus on supporting innovative peace-building campaigns done in the country.
There will be a country representative identified for each Commonwealth country. Specific Duties include:
- Serving as a link between the Pan Commonwealth and Regional CYPAN to local communities.
- Setting up a working team at country level, to assist in executing at least 6 programs across the stipulated time frame whilst assisting in regional and network level programs.
- Overseeing all Network operational activities at country level, including managing public communication and visibility of the Network.
- Coordinating: sponsorship, directing, recruiting, training, and management of Network members in the country, with close consultation with the Regional Executives Committee. 5. Driving the Implementation of Network activities/ programs at the country level. 6. Organising pre-conference proceedings at the country level and ensuring active participation of Network members in major Conferences, forum and events.
- Establishing partnerships with national organisations and institutions, private sector, government and other stakeholders within the country.
- Regular reporting to the Network at the country-level as well as to the CYPAN Executive. 9. Working in-country to promote social cohesion, respect and understanding. A monthly report and a final report is due at the end of the term of appointment or before the Country representative leaces office.
Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network Duration of Appointment
The country representative will serve a term of one year, subject to performance reviews. The Country Representative is eligible for re-appointment as long as age and nationality criteria are met. If the Representative wishes to resign before the term of appointment expires, they may do so giving one month’s notice, in writing, to the CYPAN Coordinator along with handover documents. The position is home-based, with an estimated time commitment of about 15 hours per week.
Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network Eligibility
- Candidates must be between 15 and 29 years to be eligible;
- Must be a citizen of a Commonwealth Country.
The ideal candidate has:
- Substantial knowledge of Peace and security, human rights and Preventing and countering Violent Extremism P/CVE sustainable development and discussions taking place at a global level.
- At least two years of demonstrated work experience in the design and delivery of youth development and/or youth-led development projects or participation programs related to sustainable development. (The work experience may be gained through either paid employment, volunteer, placement or internship positions or a combination of the aforementioned.)
- Knowledge on United National Security council 2250 and subsequent resolutions. It will be a plus if the candidate has been/or is a member of a technical working group in the countries UNSCR2250 implementation strategy.
- Experience establishing and maintaining productive working partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to Commonwealth values and experience planning and prioritizing work activities, as well as manage tight deadlines effectively. Ability to work autonomously and in teams, and in a multi-cultural work environment. with excellent leadership and diplomacy skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills in English.
Deadline: June 10, 2023
For more information, visit CYPAN.
- Call for Applications: Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 |Funded
- Call for Applications: Nigeria Media Innovation Program (NAMIP) Media Product Fellowship 2023
- Call for Applications: RCL FOODS Management Trainee Programme 2023 for young South Africans
- NASME 1 Million Naira Youth Empowerment Business Scheme Competition and Grant 2023
- APPLY NOW: NITDA/Coursera Scholarship (Cohort 2) 2023 for Young Nigerians
- The U-Save Foundation Fellowship Program
- Call for Applications: Deloitte Nigeria Graduate Academy Digital Programme 2023
- Call for Application: UNESCO International Literacy Prizes 2023 |$150,000 Total prize
- Heirs Life Essay Championship 2023 for Secondary School Students in Nigeria |Win N2,000,000 scholarship
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP