Applications are open for the Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023. The ASLP is an initiative of the University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung Foundation. It serves early- to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities.
The programme aims to grow mid-career academics in Africa in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
The leadership programme:
- Identifies early- to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries, but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development which can be utilised in institutions in Africa and beyond.
Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 Structure
The programme will use a highly interactive approach to training, application of skills to a leadership project, peer support, and mentorship. Fellows will attend an initial 5-day, intensive on-site programme in Pretoria, South Africa from December 1-5, 2023 (departing on the December 6). The process will involve an approach that cycles between theory, application and reflection. Participants will be challenged to work collaboratively to design initiatives that advance a new paradigm for African science.
The training will cover:
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximising the efficiency and impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making
Following the first training, fellows will apply their skills to a focus area or project relevant to their context. As described above, projects will aim to contribute to a new paradigm for Africa science. During the year, participants will continue to engage with the group and have access to professional support. In 2024, fellows will complete their projects and present them at the second training, which will be for 3 days.
Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 Cost
- Most training, travel, meal and accommodation costs will be covered.
Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 Eligibility
- Applicant should possess a PhD or equivalent qualification;
- Be a faculty or hold a continuing research position at a research institution;
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond;
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 Expected Commitment
- The ASLP is seeking candidates who are committed to developing leadership in Africa. The training itself requires the time commitment of the two multi-day training sessions. Furthermore, fellows will be expected to develop their leadership project and engage with other fellows for peer support.
- There will be some costs which are not covered by the programme, such as visa application costs, vaccinations and local travel expenses, for which you may need to seek support from your local institution or fund personally.
Africa Science Leadership Programme 2023 Application
All applicants have to provide two support letters from academic referees (details are provided in the application form). Ensure that the support letters are sent from an accredited institutional email address. One of the two referees has to commit to be involved in future communications and mentorship in case of selection of the applicant into the programme. This referee will be informed about the progress of the fellow and should be willing to support the fellow if he or she requires it.
All applications will be reviewed and shortlisted by representatives of the University of Pretoria, the Global Young Academy, national young academies, and ASLP Management. The final selection of candidates will be made by the ASLP Management team.
For more information, visit ASLP.
- Call for Applications: Nigeria Media Innovation Program (NAMIP) Media Product Fellowship 2023
- Call for Applications: RCL FOODS Management Trainee Programme 2023 for young South Africans
- NASME 1 Million Naira Youth Empowerment Business Scheme Competition and Grant 2023
- APPLY NOW: NITDA/Coursera Scholarship (Cohort 2) 2023 for Young Nigerians
- The U-Save Foundation Fellowship Program
- Call for Applications: Deloitte Nigeria Graduate Academy Digital Programme 2023
- Call for Application: UNESCO International Literacy Prizes 2023 |$150,000 Total prize
- Heirs Life Essay Championship 2023 for Secondary School Students in Nigeria |Win N2,000,000 scholarship
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP