About the Designathon
The Innovate for Impact designathon will bring Nigerian youths together to learn design-thinking concepts over three days. Participants will form teams, ideate, create solution prototypes and pitch solutions to problems existing in their communities. Three teams that pitch the most relevant, creative, feasible, sustainable, and bequity-promoting solutions will be rewarded with cash prizes. The designathon aims to promote awareness and understanding of the SDGs among youth, encourage collaboration and teamwork, and celebrate the creativity and ingenuity of young people in designing sustainable solutions.
“How might we develop sustainable innovation to major social problems in Nigerian communities?”
- 1st Prize → #300,000
- 2nd Prize → #200,000
- 3rd Prize → #100,000
- Expression of genuine interest in problem-solving, creativity, and innovation.
- Expression of genuine interest in addressing social challenges.
- Expression of genuine interest in addressing a particular social impact area.
- Expression of a clear and compelling reason for wanting to participate in the Innovate for Impact Designathon.
- Possession of relevant skills
– Participants must possess relevant technical and soft skills
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who can participate in the designathon?
A: Any Nigerian youth between the ages of 18 and 30.
Q: When and where will the designathon take place?
A: The designathon will take place over three days (from July 7 to July 9) in Ibadan, Oyo State. All designathon participants will be provided accommodation and feeding. More specific information regarding the location will be shared after appliciants have been accepted to partake in the designathon.
Q: Is there a registration fee for the designathon?
Q: How do I register for the designathon?
A: To partake in the designathon, you have to complete an open call application. Once selected, you will be invited to partake in the designathon.
Q: What are the judging criteria for the designathon competition?
A: The judging criteria for the open call includes:
- Interest in problem-solving, creativity, and innovation.
- Interest in addressing social challenges.
- Interest in addressing a particular social impact area.
- Interest in participating in the Innovate for Impact Designathon.
- Possession of relevant skill.
The judging criteria for the designathon pitch competition includes:
- Novelty and Creativity
- Feasibility and Sustainability
- Promotion of Equity
- Team Dynamic
Q: Can I participate in the designathon as part of a team?
A: Applications to partake in designathon should be filled individually. However, a team formation activity will be carried out during the designathon. The designathon competition will be done in teams. If you have a group of people you would like to experience this designathon with, please encourage them to complete this open call application form. Although we cannot guarantee that each person will be invited to the designathon or that you will be on the same team, it is worth the shot!
Q: What are the prizes for the winners of the designathon competition?
A: All teams partaking in the designathon competition will be ranked by expert reviewers based on their final pitches. The top ranking team will be awarded #300,000. The second top ranking team will be awarded #200,000 and the third ranking team will be awarded #100,000.
Note that everyone who partakes in the designathon will gain a lot of knowledge and skills to uncover root causes of problems, and design proper, relevant, and sustainable solutions to these problems. Everyone will additionally receive souvenirs in addition to an enriching experience.
Q: What resources or support will be provided during the designathon competition?
A: Different kinds of support will be provided. A transport stipend will be available for participants coming from Oyo and Lagos to help with travel expenses to and from the designathon location. Special accommodations will be provided for participants who require them as long as they are disclosed in the open call application form. Peer-mentors will be available through out the designathon to guide all participants through the process.
Q: How will participants be notified of the results of the open call?
A: Participants will be notified of the results of the open call by email and Whatsapp message by June 21. Make sure to input your correct email address and Whatsapp-connected phone number when filling out the open call application.
Q: How will participants be notified of the results of the designathon pitch competition?
A: The result of the designathon pitch competition will be announced on the same day during the final pitch event.
Q: Who can I contact for more information about the designathon competition?
A: Go through this handbook for more information about this designathon. If you still have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: April 30, 2023.
- EU Delegation to Uganda Funded traineeship 2023 for young graduates | Apply Now
- Call for Applications: NATO Young Professionals Programme 2023
- Call for Applications: Pulitzer Center Rainforest Journalism Fund (RJF) Internship 2023
- Call for Applications: UNDP/Samsung Generation17 Programme for young changemakers
- Apply Now: Mastercard Foundation-Vanguard Economics Young Impact Associate Fellowship for young Africans |Paid Fellowship
- PwC Ghana Graduate trainee Recruitment Program 2023 for young Ghanaian graduates | Apply Now
- Apply Now: Nestlé Central and West Africa Region’s (CWAR) Nesternship 2023 Program for young Africans.
- Apply Now: West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) 2023 Next Generation Internship Programme – Accra,Ghana |Fully Funded internship