Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship Programme 2023
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship Programme 2023 is now accepting applications. One of the FES’s basic principles was the cultivation of youthful talent. When Friedrich Ebert was elected as the first president of the Weimar Republic, it was nearly impossible for talented youngsters from low-income families to attend university or participate in research programs.
With the establishment of the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 1925, the first scholarships were offered to exceptionally gifted young people from working-class backgrounds who were actively participating in the Weimar Republic’s fledgling democracy. Addressing social disadvantages by assisting students who actively strive for freedom, justice, and social cohesion in their dedication to social democracy, or who will do so in the future, remains one of the FES’s goals.
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship
Foreign scholarship holders receive:
- €934 per month (basic scholarship programme) / €1,200 per month (graduate scholarship programme)
- €276 of family allowance, if applicable
- Refund of health care costs
- Any income exceeding €400 per month will be credited against the scholarship.
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship Eligibility
- FES supports foreign applicants who are already studying, or doing their postgraduate studies, in Germany at the time of application.
- Up to 40 students from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe may qualify for the scholarship programme every year with the exception of those who are already receiving some support from public sources.
- For the FES, service to the common good deserves recognition. It is therefore not only the applicants’ academic achievement but their social and political involvement and personal attitudes that play an important part in the selection process.
The FES supports:
- all academic subjects
- students from public or state-approved universities and from universities of applied sciences/polytechnical colleges (FH)
- postgraduate programmes(PhD)
The FES does not support:
- second degree courses
- study visits outside Germany
- final phases of academic studies
- postgraduate courses in medicine
FES expects scholarship holders:
- to participate in extra-curricular seminars and activities of FES campus groups on a regular basis
- to achieve above-average results in their degree courses
- to continue and intensify their socio-political commitment.
At the end of each term, a semester report has to be submitted to FES which describes the scholarship holder’s current academic performance and his/her social engagement.
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Scholarship Application
- Self-application: Use the “Online-Bewerbung” on the Internet – in German only! supplementary sheet
- Individual interviews: In a second step, selected candidates will be invited to two individual interviews. The first interview will be conducted by one of the lecturers from the FES, and the second interview by one of the members of the FES scholarship committee (AWA). Two reports are written on the basis of these interviews and presented to the AWA.
- Discussion and final decision by the AWA: The AWA will eventually make a final decision about your application. The AWA is an independent body composed of university lecturers as well as other persons from the fields of science, politics, art and media. The committee meets at least three times a year. The AWA will discuss every application at great length and then make the final decision.
- Written notification: You will be notified of the AWA’s decision.
For more information, visit FES Scholarship.
- UNFPA Global Internship Programme 2024 for young graduates
- GAIN Entrepreneurship Masterclass 2023 for Women in Nigeria
- AUC/UNDP African Young Women Leaders (AfYWL) 2023 Fellowship Programme |Fully Funded
- Call for Ambassadors: Africa Youth for Migration Programme (AYMP) 2023
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2023/2024 for Mid-Career Professionals to Study in the United Kingdom |Fully Funded
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP