Telecommunications Technology P4 International Position at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa
The objective of the ECA is to provide ideas and activities for an empowered and changed Africa, inspired by the 2030 SDGs and Agenda 2063.
The mission is guided by ECA’s five new strategic directions, which are as follows: advancing ECA’s position as a premier knowledge institution by capitalizing on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems while also bringing local solutions to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa’s position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Information Communications Technology Services Section (ICTSS) of the Publications, Conference and Knowledge Management Division (PCKMD), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Telecommunications Officer reports directly to the Chief of Section:
Within delegated authority, the Telecommunications Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Plans and directs major systems projects of significant importance to the institution, or major components of these complex systems which typically impact critical operations and large or multiple user groups.
• Provides expert advice on the management, operation and maintenance of complex communications systems to transport voice, data and image, including assessments for efficient bandwidth usage and growth; identifies the need for new systems (or modifications to existing systems) or responds to requests from users; develops plans for feasibility assessment, design, development and implementation, including project plans, schedules, time and cost estimates; provides plans for set-up and operation of communication infrastructure from “scratch” at local and wide area levels.
• Develops plans for secured communication networks including use of encryption.
• Develops technical specifications/cost proposals for procurement/contractual services, oversees the technical evaluation of bids and proposals received and monitors the procurement process; manages the contract service.
• Manages telecommunications assets with respect to deployment, usage and redeployment.
• Tracks and monitors communications projects’ progress against plan, requirements, quality measures, standard processes; liaises with users on all aspects and during all phases of development and implementation.
• Actively provides professional leadership and work direction to communications team, and/or mentors and supervises the work of new/junior officers, contract staff, etc.
• Develops, implements and monitors communication standards and guidelines.
• Keeps abreast of developments in the field and determines the need for testing and evaluating new products and technologies; provides leadership on introducing technological changes; prepares various technical reports.
• Develops and recommends strategies to address specific telecommunications, connectivity and related training needs of Headquarters or the missions.
• Provides emergency communications capabilities in support of staff security, including providing a focal point for inter-agency emergency field security communications liaison.
• Ensures effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximize possibilities of inter-agency collaboration in the field of telecommunications
• Develops disaster recovery plans and ensures appropriate planning and training of those responsible.
• Lead team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
• Performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in electronic, technical or communications engineering, technical science, computer technology or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in electronic data transmission, network design, communications or related area is required
- Proven acumen in financial responsibility, especially pertaining to administering and optimizing of budgets is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in IT Service Management (ITSM), reflecting a comprehensive understanding of how IT services align with organizational needs is desirable.
- Hands-on experience in the deployment, customization, and daily operations of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) platforms is desirable.
- Practical know-how in implementing, and overseeing cost recovery strategies for ICT services rendered, ensuring both financial responsibility and organizational sustainability are desirable.
- A track record in producing and maintaining relevant and user-centric IT Service Catalogues is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable