Apply Now: Villa Albertine Residency Program 2023/2024 for creators & culture professionals |Fully Funded to the United States
Each year, Villa Albertine, in collaboration with the Ford Foundation, invites five African intellectuals, producers, or cultural workers to complete a residency in the United States. The five laureates chosen from the current call for proposals will undergo a two-month exploratory residency in a US city in 2024. This residency program aims to foster distinctive African creative voices and practices that have the ability to shed light on key contemporary concerns while also opening up fresh views in the United States and France.
Villa Albertine is looking for African innovators, scholars, and cultural professionals who want to perform an innovative research project that requires an immersive stay in the United States.
Villa Albertine Residency Program Requirements:
- Applicants must be citizens of an African country, and their professional activity must be based primarily in Africa.
- In order to be able to communicate with professionals in the US, applicants must speak fluent English. As such, they are required to submit a three-minute video in which they introduce themselves and their project in English. Fluency in French is not required.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age prior to their estimated residency start date.
- This call is open to individual applications only; collective group applications shall not be accepted.
- Current health regulations require all non-American citizens traveling to the US to have had at least two doses of a COVID-19 vaccination. Applicants must comply with US entry regulations.
Villa Albertine Residency Program Benefits
Thanks to the financial support of the Ford Foundation, Villa Albertine is able to cover the following travel and living expenses for each residency:
- a residency allowance to cover everyday expenses (meals, local transport, etc.), based on the average cost of living for each of the ten geographical areas where Villa Albertine has a branch;
- a round trip to the US from the resident’s home country;
- health, civil liability, and repatriation insurance;
- and any necessary visa fees.
Villa Albertine cannot undertake to cover spending other than the aforementioned travel costs and living expenses.
Five two-month city-based residencies in 2024
This program shall select five two-month residencies that each focus on a particular US city.
Villa Albertine has permanent offices in ten cities (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, and Washington DC), each one being active across a broader geographical area, as indicated on the map below.
Applicants are asked to submit a two-month residency project that is rooted in a specific US city, to be chosen either from one of the ten cities in which Villa Albertine has established a permanent branch, or another US city.
Villa Albertine Residency Program Application process
Applications shall be submitted by email to the following email address no later than 11:59 p.m. (Paris time) on March 10, 2023: email@example.com
Applicants are required to write their applications in English.
Applications must include the five following elements:
1. A completed applicant information form, which may be downloaded via this link;
2. A presentation of the applicant’s career and work in PDF format, limited to ten pages and 8 MB (e.g. résumé and summary of a small selection of completed projects), including a statement indicating whether the applicant holds a driver’s license;
3. A three-minute video of the applicant speaking in English – The video link must be shared on a PDF document. In the video, the applicant should introduce themselves and their project, without reading from a prepared text. It must be uploaded as an “unlisted” video on a platform such as YouTube or Vimeo, available to view only by those who have the required link. If the applicant decides to protect their video with a password, this should be provided with the application;
4. A presentation of the proposed residency project in PDF, limited to two pages – The applicants must indicate the city where they wish to complete their residency;
5. A letter from the chosen residency partner, signed and addressed to the Director of Villa Albertine – This letter should outline how the partner intends to support the residency. If the applicant has chosen several partners, each partner must submit a letter.
Applicants shall be notified at the end of May whether their application has been successful.
For More Information:
- Call for Applications: KPMG 2023 Undergraduate Internship Programme for young Nigerians
- APPLY NOW: Teach For Nigeria Fellowship Programme 2023 | Stipend Available
- Call for Applications: Harvard LEAD Fellowship for Promoting Women in Global Health 2023-2024 |Fully-funded
- Call for Applications: International Breweries Nigeria Global Management Trainee Program 2023 for young Nigerian graduates
- APPLY NOW: France-Ghana Joint Scholarship 2023/2024 for Ghanaians
- Call for Applications: Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize 2023 |up to $10,000
- Call for Applications: First National Bank (FNB) Graduate Trainee Program 2023 for young graduates
- APPLY NOW: The Nestlé Internal Audit Program 2023 for young Nigerian graduates
- Call for Applications: WISE Edtech Accelerator Programme 2023
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP