WIPO observes World Intellectual Property (IP) Day on April 26 to learn more about the role that IP rights play in supporting innovation and creativity. The theme of this year’s conference, “Women and IP: Accelerating Innovation and Creativity,” focuses on the role that women play in fostering innovation and creativity. It reflects on the barriers that women encounter in gaining the information, skills, resources, and support they require to thrive, and it celebrates the can-do spirit and groundbreaking work of women, inventors, creators, and entrepreneurs around the world.
To celebrate this day, the WIPO Nigeria Office welcomes participation of all students of tertiary institutions across Nigeria in the 2023 National IP Essay Competition on the topic “Gender Inclusivity as a Strategy to Drive Innovation and Creativity in Nigeria”. Participation in this competition will provide students with an excellent opportunity to research and learn more about the field of intellectual property, as they explore policy ideas along the lines of this year’s theme for driving the increased participation of women in Nigeria’s innovation and creativity landscape.
WIPO National IP Essay Competition Requirements
- Entries are welcome from all students of tertiary institutions in Nigeria, and in line with the competition guidelines should be accompanied with a valid student ID card or a proof of enrollment.
Essay entries will be assessed for factual accuracy, imagination, originality, creative and innovative thought, by an independent expert Panel of Judges drawn from leading IP practitioners and entrepreneurs, academics, policy experts, scholars and regulators across the country. Participation in this competition will provide students with an excellent opportunity to research and learn more about the field of intellectual property, as they explore policy ideas along the lines of this year’s theme for driving the increased participation of women in Nigeria’s innovation and creativity landscape.
The national competition is open to all registered students (undergraduate and postgraduate) of recognized tertiary institutions in Nigeria: universities, colleges of education, polytechnics, as well as professional or vocational institutions.
WIPO National IP Essay Competition Entry requirements:
- The essay must be written in English. Essay entries should not exceed 1,500 words (bibliography and references are excluded from the word count).
- Entries should be prepared in font 12 Arial (Black), with double line spacing and pages numbered.
- Entries should be submitted in both Word and .pdf format.
- Entries must not include any pictures or other graphical illustrations.
- Entries must not contain any indication as to the name, school, number, email address or other means of identification or affiliation of its author and/or any other person.
- Plagiarism of any sort will result in disqualification.
- AI generated works are not eligible for submission, and will be disqualified.
- Submissions received after the announced deadline will not be considered.
- A valid student ID card or proof of enrollment will be required when submitting. All entries should be made to: email@example.com, with the subject title of the email initial.surname_WIPD23 Essay Competition (for example, G.Nduka_WIPD23 Essay Competition).
- All entries must be submitted on or before March 31, 2023.
- Winners of the competition will be announced in April 2023.
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023.
For More Information:
- Call for Applications: Royal Academy of Engineering 2024 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
- Call for Applications: AFS Global STEM Accelerators for Girls in STEM Worldwide 2023
- Call for Applications: ICFJ News Corp Media Fellowship 2023 for Digital Innovation for Journalists Worldwide |Fully Funded
- Call for Applications: Meta Bursaries to Support Emerging Researchers at the AI4D Africa Conference 2023
- FATE Scholar Programme (FSP) 2023 for Young Nigerians
- Call for Nominations: Diaspora Young African Leaders Awards 2023
- Apply Now: Procter & Gamble Learnership – Multiple Function Internship Program 2023 for young Nigerians
- Call for Mentors: Savvy Fellowship Programme 2023
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP